According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Heartland Heating & Cooling in Des Moines about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Heartland Heating & Cooling. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Des Moines home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Heartland Heating & Cooling at 515-344-3579 or make an appointment online.