Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Des Moines, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. An expert at Heartland Heating & Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Heartland Heating & Cooling in Des Moines a call to start down the right path. Contact our team at 515-344-3579 or schedule an appointment with us online.